1) Research similar reports published at other universities and establish contact with members of the working groups that were part of creating those reports.
(Apply in advance to receive permission for focus groups)
2) Meet with the StFX’s Equity Committee, CABSS Committee, and African Descent Student Affairs Office to accumulate the reports and data that have been released by these groups in the last five years.
3) Preliminary research, to establish context for the experience of Black students in the post-secondary system in Canada.
November 2020 (through February 2021)
4) Data will be collected through focus groups conducted with current students as well as written submissions. A survey will also be provided to students who are unable to attend focus groups.
Key informant interviews will be used for individuals with lived experience, scholarly or professional expertise on the topic of support for Black students at StFX University.
5) A literature review will be completed utilizing key themes identified by the students.
This process will include a scan of publicly available literature to identify promising practices to address the needs of students.
6) Final phase of gathering data.
Beginning of reporting period (highest intensity of the writing).
Presentations to members of the McKenna Board and of the school community.
Begin drafting the recommendations.
7) Final edits of the written work.
Final review of the recommendations in consultation with the Office for Students of African Descent.
8) Presentation of recommendations to Senior Administration.
Report becomes public to community.
FINAL PROJECT AND RECOMMENDATIONS WILL BE AVAILABLE SPRING 2021